Monday, August 6, 2012

IVF Timeline

Still doesn't really exist. :( Because of the timing of my periods and the vast number of vacations we have coming up, we still don't have a set timeline for our IVF. At this point, the soonest would be mid-October

Our IVF consult last week went well. It was extremely overwhelming for Bob (poor thing). It was a little easier for me to understand because I already knew what all of the medical terms meant... he had no idea what the nurse was referring to half the time. Thankfully, I think he's got it down now :)

As of right now, the tentative plan is to move forward at the end of August... which pretty much means that when I get my next period at the end of August we wait 21 days, and then actually start something. The nurse gave us all kind of handy calendars and reference sheets to look at and told us at least 5 times that if we EVER had any question, even after hours or in the middle of the night, to just call the on-call dr or nurse. Its nice to know that they aren't going to get upset with me for calling at 2am asking about one of my injections. :)

For about 8-10 days I'll be on an injection to suppress my ovaries... they want the stimulating meds to do all the work! Then, once I get my period (again) they'll lower the dose of suppression meds and add stimulating meds. All of which, of course, are injections. Most of them at SQ inj, which I can easily give to myself, but the IM ones are going to be a little tricky.... The nurse asked Bob if he's be able/willing to learn how to give them... he turned white as a sheet and starting shaking his head no. (he HATES needles!) Fortunately, I think there are some other people I can convince to help me there :)

Anyways, because I'm "super sensitive" to all meds, I'll need to go in every other day for ultrasounds and bloodwork to monitor follicle development and make sure my estrogen levels don't sky rocket. We were told that once I start the stims I'm not allowed to do any bouncing at all. This gave us a good laugh. At first we thought she was kidding, but apparently, because your ovaries are being hyperstimulated, they're bigger and heavier than normal, so any bouncing or jumping could cause them to twist, cutting off the blood supply to the ovary. (that's not scary or anything) So, needless to say, they'll be no trampolines or jet-ski-ing for this girl any time soon!

Then comes the retrieval (which I won't go into detail about). But it is amazing the things we have to decide and the number of papers we have to sign prior to the retrieval. Bob had to sign a form giving me permission to decide how many embryos to implant in case he's unable to be there; we have to decide if we want to fertilize all the eggs retrieved and if not, we have to decide whether to discard them or donate them; we have to assign guardians to any and all frozen embryos so that if we were to both pass away, the guardians could "carry out our wishes;" We have to decide who would get custody of frozen embryos in case of divorce (which won't ever happen, but we have to decide anyways).

So many things I never thought I'd have to think about! That was way more overwhelming to me than the explanation of the process. I already had a general idea of how things were going to work, but this stuff... this stuff I never even saw coming!

We also found out its going to cost more than we originally thought. Because Dr. D wants to use general anesthesia on me for the retrieval, that's a whole additional cost. It looks like it will now be around $12,000-$15,000!

We'd appreciate your continued prayers as we have a lot of decisions to make and information to process. We also have some, obvious, financial concerns. As much as we're eager to move forward, that's a TON of money to spend all at once and in a just a short amount of time.

We're both looking forward to having the month of August, and most of September medication free!! At times its sad that we aren't moving forward immediately, but I think we need this break. For our sanity, our health, and our hearts.

Thank you all for your love and support!

11 comments:

  1. How exciting. October is right around the corner and will be here before you know it. The cost that you are paying, is it a one cycle cost through your clinic or are you going through a program like Attain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its through the clinic. They don't participate with our insurance, and our insurance doesn't cover anything anyways, so its ALL out of pocket. What's Attain??

      Delete
    2. Attain is the program we used. They offer other choices besides what your clinic does, if they participate with them (of course). Our insurance doesnt cover anything infertility related after diagnosis. We were out of pocket so for a few thousand more we got a multi-cycle package which consisted of two fresh and two frozen cycles. Of course like yours, that doesnt cover the medications and we had a $500 co-pay on the general anethesia.

      Delete
  2. Also depending on what medication you will be on for stims, I might be able to donate some to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really?!? That would be fantastic! I don't have my list on hand, but once I look it over I'll let you know!

      Delete
  3. Well, it sounds like we need to have you over soon to jump on the tramp and do backflips into the pool!!! Actually, you are more than welcome to come over anytime to enjoy those things...as well as me and my kid's company :) But seriously, I am praying for both of you and know that God has planned amazing things for the two of you as parents...He is just building that anticipation waaaaay too long!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karrie, and I appreciate the invite... as far as the trampoline... I think i'll pass :) Thank you for your prayers and your encouragement! Love you!

      Delete
  4. Good luck to you. Keeping you in my prayers. I know how overwhelming it can be because we were right there with ya before we put everything on hold. Hope you get your little one from this cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessah! It's nice to know we're not the only ones feeling overwhelmed. You guys are in our prayers too!

      Delete
  5. Too bad we aren't home, I would gladly give you your injections. (Know that I say this in the kindest way:) ) I love you and will continue to pray for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I would love for you to give me my injections!! You should probably move back to Michigan just for that reason :) So excited we get to see you in less than a month!!!!!

      Delete