Friday, April 13, 2012

One Week

Well, our appointment is one week away. Right now I'm feeling a mix of fear and excitement.

I'm anxious to move to the next step of starting our family; what that means... I have no idea. From the research I've done, the first appointment with the RE is a really long review of our health history. I think they also order testing, but I'm not sure. The not knowing what to expect adds to my fear of going.

Right now I'm truly just a big pile of mixed emotions. Part of me hopes they find "something" to explain why we're not getting pregnant; not because I want there to be a problem, but because I've found the worst thing about any health issue is when the doctor looks at you and says, "I don't know why."

On the other hand, it'd be really nice if the doctor said, "everything is perfectly normal." It'd be nice to know we haven't been trying for the last 7 1/2 months only to find out that we never would have been able to get pregnant on our own.

Ideally, we'll walk in, they'll do some initially testing and say, "you don't need to be here, you're already pregnant!"  (Not likely!)

B and I have been in this together, 100%  since we started ttc. I know he wants a baby as much as I do; but yesterday, for the first time, he looked at me, with tears in his eyes and said, "I really just want to be a daddy."

It almost broke my heart. It made me happy to know that he wants to raise a child with me. But what if I can't give him that?

this next part I say with all respect; Please don't ask or say anything about adoption.

Adoption is an incredible thing! I have no opposition to it whatsoever, and the parents who do it are amazing. But, Bob and I are not there yet. In all honesty, I want my own baby. A baby with Bob's blue/green eyes, and my dimples.  Adoption is a process. Not just in the sense of the amount of preparation, money, and paperwork. But, especially for people who are having trouble conceiving, it is part of a process of grief. In order for Bob and I to move towards adoption, we'd have to mourn and grieve the possibility of having our own child. We'd have to be willing to move beyond that longing and change our focus. If we do adopt someday, I know we would love that child just as if I'd carried him/her in my womb. But we're just not there yet.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. That certainly isn't my intention, and I don't mean to be insensitive. But when I tell people we're having difficulty conceiving, they often respond with, "well, couldn't you just adopt?" And while their intentions are good, it hurts. Adoption should never be a "just." I believe it's a calling. Something God calls you to do as a parent. And we don't feel that calling; at least not yet.

5 comments:

  1. Mostly people who haven't suffered from infertility make adoption comment s. I hope everything goes great during your appointment. They do usually ask alot of questions and do bloodwork on cycle day three. My husband and I were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I wish we had a reason why we can't get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Toni! Its nice to have a heads up in regards to what to expect at the first appointment.

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog and am now following. People that push adoption of of the gate drive me crazy too so I get it. Reposted an infertility ettiquite post on my blog to (hopefully) dissuade some folks from saying things like that even though they mean well. It's not helpful. I hope your appt with RE goes well. Like you, I was unexplained for a long time and even though it sucks to have endometriosis..part of me was relieved to know what was going on in my body. Hoping for the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessah! I read your ettiquite post and I love it! I have had each of those things said/done to me and I've always felt guilty about getting upset over those things; now I know I'm not alone.

      Delete
  3. Be strong and always trust that the Lord has a master plan. Wonderful things will happen and on a note of encouragement, I have 2 friends that were off the pill for a while before ttc and it took each of them a year, but they now have happy healthy babies/pregnancies. I apologize if you don't want to hear that, but I thought I would offer hope. Keep your chin up and good luck at your appointment. I'm saying a prayer for you both.

    ReplyDelete